Trending News

Man skinny dips into shark tank at the Toronto’s Ripley’s Aquarium

Security camera footage shows an unidentified man skinny-dipping in a shark tank at Toronto’s Ripley’s Aquarium during an event called jazz night.

According to a news report from the Toronto Star, the unidentified man, who is believed to be between the ages of 35-40, entered the aquarium shortly after 10 p.m.

He then can be seen purchasing a ticket with a female accompanying him. Immediately after getting the ticket, he climbs over the security barrier, strips himself bare, and dives into the 2.9 million-litre shark tank.

Ripley’s said they are going to press charges against the skinny-dipper:

“Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada is co-operating with authorities and is willing to press all appropriate charges once the individual has been apprehended,”

The video captured by bystanders showed the man swimming naked in the tank as sand tiger sharks, moray eels and sawfish floated nearby.

 As a security officer approaches to wave him out, the skinny-dipper appears to be leaving the tank, and then suddenly dives backwards into the water again amidst cheers from the crowd. 

The man then climbs out of the tank and heads over into the crowd where a woman appears to hand him some clothing, but leaves behind his T-shirt and jacket as he rushes to leave before the police arrive.

 The unidentified man is also facing additional legal troubles after a news report came out suggesting he was involved in a violent assault case that same night. News agencies are now reporting that the skinny-dipper had severely assaulted a man at Medieval Times earlier that night, prior to his stunt. 

According to a press release from the Toronto police, around 8 p.m. a 34 year old man was severely assaulted near Dufferin St. at Medieval Times by a stranger. As the man fled, the victim was left behind in critical condition and required immediate medical care.

Later that night at around 10:30 p.m., the police received a call from Ripley’s about an “indecent exposure incident.”

“We believe the same person is responsible for both incidents,” Allyson Douglas-Cook speaking for the Toronto police. “We are investigating it as such.”

According to the aquarium’s general manager Peter Doyle, “[the stunt] was premeditated and intentional.”

“He wasn’t here to enjoy jazz night because he was only here for 20 minutes.”

“We’ve never had an incident like this before,” Doyle continued. “I’ve never seen this in my 25 years working in aquariums.